Sunday, December 13, 2009

Why do some consider red lipstick and nail polish to be slutty?

?Why do some consider red lipstick and nail polish to be slutty?
For some traditional people, it's the color of prostitutes because it's so out there and attention grabbing. It is also the stereotype of some cultures.





This clear connection between the color red and prostitution is clearly seen in Toulouse-Lautrec’s 1892 poster, Reine de Joie, which originally advertised a novel by Victor Joze, a friend of the artist who lived nearby in Montmartre. Reine de Joie, mœurs du demi-monde (translated as “Queen of Joy, or the World of Easy Virtue”), first published in Joze’s Montmartre-based magazine, le Fin de siécle, was part of an erotic series entitled “The Social Menagerie” and detailed the activities of Parisian prostitutes (Frey 304). In the poster, Toulouse-Lautrec depicts two of the book’s characters: Hélène, the pretty young woman, is easily identified as a prostitute by the cherry-red lipstick on her puckered lips and the tight scarlet dress hugging her body. In each instance, the bright, flat color functions as an indicator of her profession by drawing attention to both her body and her behavior. The kiss she plants boldly on her repulsive but wealthy patron’s nose, inappropriately unconcerned with the opinions of their table companions, is highlighted by the crimson tint on her lips. Her seductive, twisting position and sinuous curves are accentuated by the bright red of her dress. The presence of a wine ewer on the table, a traditional symbol for fecundity and the female sexuality (Desloge 204), further emphasizes the identity of this “scarlet woman.” As such, Reine de Joie showcases Toulouse-Lautrec’s clear associations between the color red and the mercenary sexuality of prostitution during the early 1890s.Why do some consider red lipstick and nail polish to be slutty?
The different shades of lipstick and nailpolish blend with the color tones of the skin and hair and it plays a role in deciding which color shade of lipstick or nailpolish to wear. Red though does speak loud for most. I believe that one color we most know speaks very loud. Black. White nailpolish can speak in part of weddings and special accasions. Sometimes used in French manicure style. Black says to most punky. You get the idea. Red to me is sexy.
I don't think it is...I just don't think it's in style. My guess would be because that's how they portray those type of people in the movies. Who knows for sure.
No at all man, Red Lipstick and polish to me turns me on. Red is my fav colour by the way.
I think it's an old person thing--





My father used to tell me the SAME thing!!! ';Take that **** off your nails!!!'; and ';You are NOT wearing that red dress to church!!';





I actually think it's something to do with older people =) Who knows..?!?
Good question. I have heard of the lipstick one but not the nail polish lol. I think that the red lipstick is called slutty because some people think of a girl is wearing red lipstick is symbolic to yelling out look at me! Hey you know you want to kiss these red lips ;p. That has to be my guess. I don't see anything wrong with it.
wouldn't that be a stereotype? some women just don't know what suits them.
I like red fingernail polish but as for red lipstick it depends on the persons skin tone. On some people it makes them look really washed out. But I think they both are classic

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting domains